This building from the sixteenth century was a collegiate church in the fourteenth century and it settles on the remains of what was possibly a Hispano Muslim Almohad fortress, and of which part of a polygonal tower that was built into the head of the church is still preserved. The floor of the building is rectangular with a single hall divided into three sections and a polygonal apse vault covered with thick ribs. The cover of the rest of the temple is a triple ribbed vault. Later, in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, six chapels were added, three on each side wall of the nave, with their respective Renaissance and Baroque styles. The main façade was made in the eighteenth century by Manuel Gómez and Pedro de Silva in Baroque style and influenced by the Sevillian school style. It is structured in three sections; the first of them is the entrance, flanked by twin columns. The second section appears separated by a frieze with a cornice where a niche is located with the image of San Pedro framed by wreathed columns and topped with a curved pediment. The three bells are located in the last section inside a triple semicircular arch with balustrade and topped with a belfry containing two openings. Inside this church there are several elements, like the altarpiece, by sculptor Antón Vázquez and painted by Antón Sánchez, Hernando de Sturmio and Pedro Fernández de Guadalupe in 1547. It is a sample of Hispanic art with flemish influence from the first half of the sixteenth century. Also noteworthy are the Ayllones Chapel with an excellent plateresque altarpiece, and the image of the Divina Pastora attributed to La Roldana, patron of the clergy of San Pedro from 1749.
Consult the programme.
This building is currently undergoing restoration work